1.08.2009

Dulce de Leche Cupcakes

Cream Puffs In Venice is an incredible site full of beautiful photos and words about food. I love food! There are so many recipes, photos and ideas that just make me drool. Okay, not really, but they definitely look and sound delicious and inspire me too!

A couple of months ago, I made a batch of Dulce de Leche cupcakes that I adapted from a recipe from Cream Puffs In Venice.

Dulce de Leche Cupcakes
Yields
: 12 - 18 cupcakes

1 can Dulce de Leche (I didn't use the whole can)
1 1/2 cups flour
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 sticks (3/4 cup) unsalted butter, room temp
1 cup sugar
2 large eggs, room temp
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup buttermilk, room temp
1 cup unsweetened medium shredded coconut

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Line muffin/cupcake pan with cupcake liners (I used foil). Place a dollop of Dulce de Leche in each cup (or if you're like me, and love Dulce de Leche, then it may end up being more than a dollop).

In a bowl, sift flour, baking soda and salt together. Set aside.

Cream butter and sugar till pale and fluffy.

Add the eggs to the butter mixture one at a time, mixing well after each addition.

Add the vanilla extract. Mix well.

Add the dry ingredients in three stages, alternating with the buttermilk between each stage. Mix well.

Stir in the coconut.

Spoon mixture into each cup with the Dulce de Leche. Each cup should be about half to three-quarters full.

Bake for about 20 minutes. If cake tester or tooth pick does not come out clean, bake for a few more minutes.

Remove from pan and cool completely before frosting.

For the frosting I just used a basic/simple buttercream recipe.

Buttercream Frosting

1/2 cup butter, softened
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups confectioners sugar
1-2 tablespoons milk

Cream butter. Add vanilla extract. Gradually add sugar, beating well. Add milk till desired consistency.

Give them a try...they are delicious with the Dulce de Leche in the bottom and a slight coconut texture throughout the cupcake. Initially I thought I might find them a little sweet, but they weren't at all. They were just right. Or if you get a chance to try anything else at Cream Puffs in Venice, be sure to tell me about it. There are so many more recipes there that I still want to enjoy.

No comments: