10.18.2008

Baby Sling

There are so many web sites to help make a baby sling. After reviewing several of them, I'm not sure which one I really followed while making this sling. However, Jan Andrea, features a lot of information about slings and has really put a lot of time into her site for those who would like to make a sling for themselves or as a gift.

Aside from searching for strong, supportive rings, probably the most difficult part for me was choosing the fabric. But that's no surprise I'm sure, especially to those who know me well. I did eventually make a decision, and also found some rings locally, at American Cowboy. Or you can purchase aluminum rings online at Sling Rings.

I wanted to make this sling reversible. Because of this, I thought that pleats at the top of the sling would be best, so no matter which way it is used, it will look pretty and neatly finished. I was sure to zig zag stitch over the pleats a couple a times and sewed two rows of straight stitch through all the layers of fabric to secure the support near the rings. I also top stitched around the edges after sewing the two fabrics together to reinforce the seams.

For an extra touch I folded over about 3 to 4 inches of the pink fabric at the end of the sling so that it would coordinate with the top where the pleats were folded through the rings.

This sling was a gift, so I borrowed a fabulous idea from a favorite blog of mine, and wrapped the sling in itself and then took a scrap of coordinating fabric to tie a bow around it.

2 comments:

Bianca said...

I wish I was ambitious as you to make a sling. Such a nice gift! And your fabric choice was perfect...oh, and it matches the color of your blog too!!

Cindi said...

Hi Josselyn~

I have loved seeing all of your creative projects! The pin cushion in the vintage jello mold (1st picture of the sling entry) looks familiar! LOL! The heart anniversary cake you made is magnificent! You really can do it all!!

I'll be interested in future entries!
Cindi