10.26.2008

Batman Costume

This pattern was actually easier than anticipated. It is a Simplicity pattern #3595. There really is not much to say about it because the pattern explains everything quite well. I did however make just a couple of adjustments.

The first being that I changed the design of the bat on the shirt to the more common, and desired, yellow and black symbol. I followed the directions the same on the pattern for the appliqué. And I used a piece of felt I had left from the belt. I didn't have to purchase any extra - the felt is so wide that there is plenty left for the oval shape. And the same goes for the bat cutout. I just used a piece left from cutting out the rest of the costume.

The second adjustment I made was on the gauntlets. I didn't quite understand the concept at first, but knew it had to be an important part of the costume. So after taking a closer look at a batman action figure, I realized that there was actually more to the gauntlets than the pattern was designed. The pattern only makes it a forearm sleeve that pulls up on the arm over the costume. But in my opinion they get lost in the costume, seeing that everything is black. So I cut out some triangles much like the triangles for the ears on the hood, only smaller. I cut 12 out of interfacing and then ironed them on to the fabric before cutting and sewing together. I basically followed the directions for the ears, sewing only two sides and then turning inside out. And then when I went to sew the seams of the gauntlet, I inserted the triangles giving it the detail needed to complete the costume.

I've also used this pattern before to make a red Prince Phillip (Disney's Sleeping Beauty) cape, which has since been used for so many other characters as well. I love to see the joy that comes from a child when he or she is given a gift so delightful to them, and allows their own creativity and imaginations to flow.

Everyday is a new adventure!

No comments: