11.10.2008

Delicious Mashed Red Potatoes

The word delicious would obviously be my opinion of the potatoes I made yesterday. So in an attempt to try to remember how I made them and make sure I can find my jottings again, I've decided to post it here. In turn, sharing it with you too.

Using a bag of red potatoes, I quartered each one and then removed any bad or blemished parts. I would say it was between 4 - 5 lbs in all. I boiled them in a large pot with 5 cloves of garlic, peeled and enough water to cover the potatoes. Boil covered, at a low temperature (otherwise your pot will boil over - I'm really good at this), until the potatoes are tender, about 20 - 25 minutes. As it simmers the potatoes become infused with garlic.

Drain the potatoes and remove the garlic. I placed the potatoes in my standing electric mixer with 1/2 cup of butter (1 stick). The warmth of the potatoes melts the butter nicely and the mixer does a good job of mashing the potatoes while they are still warm. I then added 1/2 cup of milk, and 1/4 cup of sour cream, and 1 teaspoon of salt, and 1/4 teaspoon of pepper and blended it all together.

It was that easy and really delicious. This recipe makes plenty; enough even for leftovers. And of course you could adjust the amount of butter, milk and/or sour cream to change the creaminess or consistency to your liking.

1 comment:

Bianca said...

sounds so yummy! everything you make tastes so good. i really miss your cooking. (and not having to cook, or course).