11.06.2008

Cake and Cupcakes

It was a birthday for two little princesses and their dad. The only request I had was for red velvet cake and the rest was up to me. I turned to my Martha Stewart's Wedding Cakes book for a recipe and found one. I also decided to use the cream cheese frosting associated with the cake in the book. The cake idea came from Wilton.

I doubled the cake recipe and ended up with so much batter that it made plenty of cupcakes too. The cake and frosting combination tasted really good. Yummy. I'd make it again. I'm yet to be disappointed with the recipes from Martha's book. I must be honest and say that the recipes aren't the easiest - they are more time consuming than the basic cake recipe. And as much as I enjoy baking and decorating, it makes me really appreciate the work that goes into a professional bakery.

The consistency of the frosting was perfect for the cupcakes, but not so much for the princess castle. It was just a little too soft, and I struggled a little with the construction. I'm not really sure how I could avoid this in the future. Although in the end, all turned out well. Maybe more than well. You can only imagine the smile and excitement of a little girl at her very own princess castle cake.

The cupcakes were were really easy and lots of fun. The dots design was done with rolled fondant which I colored and cut into 3 different sizes. I thought it was a fun alternative to the traditional birthday cake.

4 comments:

Christina said...

How totally fun, I love it!!! Great job. I think your ideas are so inspirational. Thanks for sharing you talents.

Claudine said...

The castle was so beautiful, WOW!!! Now I want to have a princess birthday party! :) I love how the cupcakes turned out too, very clever and so cute!

Meredith said...

This cake is so amazing! I am always in awe of all of your many talents!

Bianca said...

Wow! You continue to out-do yourself. Pretty soon you will have to open up your own bakery :D